I unpacked my Intercal box and took a deep breath.
I drew my own pattern so it would fit on a 12x12 piece of mohair. As most of y'all know, mohair can be quite pricey. I decided to do a small bear so it would fit on a square foot of mohair. I had to rework the pattern a couple times to get it on there but it finally fit. I bought pre-crimped eyes as I had heard the horror stories of glass eyes breaking when pulled through the head. I thought I would spend a couple bucks more and get the best eyes.
I have to tell you I really dragged my feet on this bear. Since this was a new venture and I was teaching myself how to make this bear with help from everybody at Teddy Talk, I had a lot of anxiety about it. I had this idea in my head about how I wanted this bear to turn out and I was on uncharted territory. After about a week, I turned out this little guy...
Everything about this bear was a learning curve for me. I stopped at ever juncture and referenced each particular skill at Teddy Talk or a book I have about repairing old teddies. And while I learned a LOT, I have a lot more to learn. I didn't skimp or cheat on this bear. I followed the proper rules and etiquette for making a good quality, jointed teddy bear. Even if I had to unstuff the head three times, I wanted it done right.
Even photographing this bear was different than shooting my felted bears. There is so much more depth to this bear, who I named "BooBoo." But it's really hard to see in the photo. I took the photo in evening sun after a rainstorm and will not do that next time.
I used a technique for sewing in the eyes that I really liked. However, after a couple days of looking at her I decided I didn't care for the space between the eyes. It was a bit too wide.
When I pushed on the eye, it came loose! ACK!!! So I pulled on the other eye and it did the same darn thing! What tha? So I researched another technique and used a different thread and re-seated both eyes closer together and much deeper in the head. Which of course I don't have a photo. But it looks much better and gave more character to BooBoo.
I am already drawing a new pattern to fit on a bigger hunk of mohair. I want to make changes to my bear as there are some things I don't like. But we all have to start somewhere. I really enjoyed making a jointed, stuffed, mohair bear and have plans to make many more. I spent an hour and a half last night combing the mohair inventory at Intercal. It's like walking into a candy store! Yum! MOHAIR IN ALL COLORS!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, I listed Mama Margarita on ebay. She will be offered for sale through this Friday. Click on my ebay link in the upper left to take a peek.